dzygners' forums
You have never visited, or are not logged in.
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author Subject: [ tut ] 3. Walkthrough: Prison Complex
anders
Administrator

2013 Posts
Location . Taipei

posted on 9.25.2003 at 03:56
[ tut ] 3. Walkthrough: Prison Complex

Credits : Version 1.0 (Last updated on 1/23/2003)

Written by and Copyright: Zoggles

Notes
A walkthrough example of the creation of one of the buildings done for critticage.

Isometric Walkthrough [part 3] : Prison Complex

The roofs were then coloured and shaded and extra lines (slightly darker than each face) were added to create a tiled texture. I also changed the design of the rearmost buildings's roof as it looked odd being different from the others after having done it.

Not happy with the colour of the buildings themselves, I simply adjusted the hue and saturation of that layer until I found a colour and shade I was happy with.

Again, using slightly darker shades of each wall, some lines were added to create a subtle brick effect, and some windows were added to the watch tower.

Now for the windows. On a new layer, a whole load of small rectangles were then added to each of the walls and each window pane was shaded using two colours - the slightly darker of the two was used in opposing corners to help change the rectangle shape into more of a rhombus in-keeping with the isometric angle. Zoom in on the image to see what I mean.

Ok.. So those windows are far too bright, but having done them on a separate layer, its very easy to adjust them. For this, I simply reduced the opacity of the layer to about 40%. Bit of a cheat really, but it works and looks ok.
Credits : Version 1.0 (Last updated on 1/23/2003)

Written by and Copyright: Zoggles

Notes
A walkthrough example of the creation of one of the buildings done for critticage.

Isometric Walkthrough [part 3] : Prison Complex

The roofs were then coloured and shaded and extra lines (slightly darker than each face) were added to create a tiled texture. I also changed the design of the rearmost buildings's roof as it looked odd being different from the others after having done it.

Not happy with the colour of the buildings themselves, I simply adjusted the hue and saturation of that layer until I found a colour and shade I was happy with.

Again, using slightly darker shades of each wall, some lines were added to create a subtle brick effect, and some windows were added to the watch tower.

Now for the windows. On a new layer, a whole load of small rectangles were then added to each of the walls and each window pane was shaded using two colours - the slightly darker of the two was used in opposing corners to help change the rectangle shape into more of a rhombus in-keeping with the isometric angle. Zoom in on the image to see what I mean.

Ok.. So those windows are far too bright, but having done them on a separate layer, its very easy to adjust them. For this, I simply reduced the opacity of the layer to about 40%. Bit of a cheat really, but it works and looks ok.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away."

© 2002 - 2005 dzygn.com