dzygners' forums
You have never visited, or are not logged in.
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author Subject: using digicam below 0 degrees
madis
Dr. Bug Vet

1518 Posts
Location . Sweden

posted on 12.16.2003 at 19:24 Reply With Quote
using digicam below 0 degrees

in the manual for the minolta dimage xt it says:

quote:

Only use or charge the battery in an environment with ambient temperatures between 0° and 40°C

quote:

This camera has been designed for use in temperatures from 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F).

quote:

Operating temperature: 0° - 40°C

does this mean that i'm not allowed to use the cam on skitripps etc??

[Edited on 12.18.2003 by madis]

» some people believe soccer is an matter of life and death. i'm very disappointed
   with that attitude. i can assure you it is much, much more important than that.

Dan

221 Posts
Location . Sheffield, UK

posted on 12.17.2003 at 09:20 Reply With Quote
I used mine and the batteries ran out real fast! You also have problems with condensation and if it's really cold you could get some nasty stuff happening when water freezes inside the electrics.

Then there's impact damage! I smashed a digital Ixus hitting ice bolders on an off-piste run. Better the camera than my spine, and the insurance company covered the repair.

If you keep it in an inside pocket (breast pocket is good) and keep it dry it *should* be ok. If it does get very cold, or you see condensation on the lens just stop using it. Now for a shameless link to some of my ski pics!

btw it's -10 in the alps at the moment with a -20 wind chill, unless it gets warmer I'm probably not gonna take my camera out at all.

-- no sig --
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Dan
madis
Dr. Bug Vet

1518 Posts
Location . Sweden

posted on 12.17.2003 at 19:39 Reply With Quote
Nice photo section.. I think I'll have to create one of my own in the near future.

The battery last long. Took shots all day yesterday in school (110 photos).
And if the LCD is turned off it should last for 92 hrs (!) according to imaging resource (without any photo taken).

Now I just need to learn how to take photos
Any good tuturial(s)?

[/Edited on 12.17.2003 by madis]
Reason : link

» some people believe soccer is an matter of life and death. i'm very disappointed

Dan

221 Posts
Location . Sheffield, UK

posted on 12.17.2003 at 22:32 Reply With Quote
I meant:
"I used my ixus and the batteries ran out real fast in the cold ."

Sorry

As regards tutorials what are you looking for? Depth of field, framing, colours, lighting, etc. Try the photography section in the bookshop, that'll be the best bet.

There's a tonne of technical information out there, but I think the best way to learn is to look at other peoples photos and to just take loads of photos yourself, see the results, learn what works, then repeat ad nauseum. I know quite a bit about the technical side of photography, but I really need to improve on capturing the scene/environment/people.

I found some of my first photos from 1986 today! To be honest I've not improved since then.... (will scan them in sometime to prove it).

[Edited on 17.12.2003 by Dan]

-- no sig --
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Dan
madis
Dr. Bug Vet

1518 Posts
Location . Sweden

posted on 12.18.2003 at 08:38 Reply With Quote
I'm mostly interested on how to get rid of the ugly shaddows (that often occur while taking a photo inside a building).
And if there is a way taking a photo thats not blurry without using the flash.
And someone needs to explain what ISO (I think it's sensitivity) is, how it works, and how it should be.

Dan

221 Posts
Location . Sheffield, UK

posted on 12.18.2003 at 09:17 Reply With Quote
"I'm mostly interested on how to get rid of the ugly shaddows"
You could try an off centre, external flash or multiple flashe guns (probably a *little* over the top though). One nice method I've been using with my digi-cam is to set the camera to use fill-in flash. That way the flash highlights the foreground but you also get the long exposure effect on lights. It's also kind of cool for the colours: Some examples here.

"And if there is a way taking a photo thats not blurry without using the flash"
Use a tripod or cut down on the caffiene

"explain what ISO"
I'm not sure how ISO works with digital cameras as mine is old and doesn't have that feature. But basically it means sensitivity to light. In normal photography a higher ISO/ASA film means it is more sensitive to light so that you can take photos in dark conditions at a higher-speed/smaller-appeture. But high ISO will be grainy while low will be clearer.

With the digi cam I suggest you experiment, you'll probably find the higher ISO setting will create grainier pictures. Post your results

[Edited on 18.12.2003 by Dan]

-- no sig --
Sergi
backend messer

465 Posts
Location . Barcelona

posted on 12.18.2003 at 13:16 Reply With Quote
i love the fill-in-flash too.

Sergi: [ meddle v2 ] || [ gen7es ] || [ e ]
aspfreakout

90 Posts

posted on 12.18.2003 at 19:42 Reply With Quote
We normally take our digital video/still cam with us when we go skiing. No problems so far, -10° or less...
Works since 1999 so don't mind :d, just do it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U aspfreakout
Quick Reply [ Show All Smilies ] Not logged in [Login - Register]

© 2002 - 2005 dzygn.com