dzygners' forums
You have never visited, or are not logged in.
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author Subject: [ tut ] Printing in PS CS
bodyvisual

490 Posts
Location . in my own fantasy world

posted on 1.27.2004 at 16:59 Reply With Quote
[ tut ] Printing in PS CS

//didn't know where to put this, move as necessary... ^^;

** Note, this tutorial walkthrough is made using Photoshop CS, v. 8.0, using an HP Deskjet 940c printer.

*Printing in Photoshop CS (And possibly PS 7).

Everyone I’ve ever talked to has said that printing in PS is dumb or not worthwhile… I thought the same, preferring to stick to FreeHand or Illustrator. However, the other night I got PS CS and was messing around with a logo I designed…

I managed to print it with perfect quality, from my home printer, directly from PS.

How I did it:

. Create your image:

When you initially create an image, you must set the resolution to 300 pixels/inch, a print-friendly resolution. Other than that, it’s up to you. Don’t worry about printer: page dimensions; PS has a nice way around this…

. Optimize for printing:

After your satisfied with what you have made, go to Layer>Flatten Image. If you want to be able to edit your original PSD later, you might want to make a backup of the image with the layers, effects, etc., because after you flatten, you can’t get these.

Then, go to Image>Mode>CMYK. This is the print colour wheel, which gives better colour than just RGB.

Next, you need to save your file as TIFF. File>Save As. In the format drop down menu, select TIFF. Click OK.

Then, the TIFF Options dialog will display. The settings for best resolution are:
Image Compression: None.
Byte Order: IBM PC (Or Macintosh if your on a Mac, heaven forbid ^^
The “Save Image Pyramid” should be unchecked.

Click OK, and your file will be saved as a TIFF file, friendly for printing.

. Printing

With the TIFF file still open, choose File>Print with Preview (Alt+Ctrl+P).
This is the main dialogue for printing. There are a lot of settings, but the only ones that we need I’ll explain. If “Show More Options” is not checked, check it.

As you very well can see, there are the normal settings, like position, scale, output, and Colour Management. Those are all very obvious. You don’t want to mess with Screen and Transfer (Under Output), because these could mess your printer up. Experiment with background, border, and bleed, if you want. The Registration, Corner Crop, and Center Crop marks all are marks that are printed to aid you in the cropping of your image. These are only effective if you want to print less than the entire page.

All right, enough talk, let’s print.

These are all the settings that you should choose for a print that does not fill the entire page:

Center Image
Under Colour Management: Document: Untagged CMYK
Under Output: Registration, Corner, Center crop marks (play with
these if you want)

Now, click the Page Setup.

Orientation: Landscape, better for posters, but you choose.
Size: Letter, unless you use another size.
Source: Automatically select

Then click printer.

Click properties (or settings, whichever).

Under “Paper/Quality”:

Paper Source: Automatically Select
Media: Plain Paper (if you’re using photo paper, look on the box, and
see what sort of media to choose)
Quality Settings: Best, if final print, Normal if test print.
Colour: Colour (unless you want grayscale)

Double check the layout tab, and make sure your orientation is still set (it never hurt to double check ^^

Click “OK”, “OK”, “OK”, “Print”. Double check your printing properties, just to make sure (so your not wasting paper). Then, click “OK”. Your image will print. Depending on size, colour, etc., it can take any amount of time.

Earlier I mentioned the “printer: page dimensions”. I’ve become addicted with printing posters. Luckily, I don’t have to workaround low quality by exporting to Publisher to print it right.

In the “Print with Preview” dialogue, there is a handy check box labeled “Scale to fit Media”. If you check that, then your image will print filling up the page. The quality is not altered (in my experience) as long as you save a TIFF, etc.

Here are the settings I use for best output from my home printer:

Orientation: Landscape
Media: HP Photo paper
Quality: Best
Colour: colour

And that’s it. Click print, ward off the cats (they love to terrorize printers), and wait for my print to finish. Then I trim it up, hang it on the wall, and drool over the shiny photo paper.

This process is not particularly hard, but once you get the settings right, it’s a snap to print high-quality art for… FREE! That’s the best part.

Note: When printing a full-page poster, print it in “Draft” mode first with colour set as black. This is located in the “Paper/Quality” dialogue. By doing this, you insure your image will look as you want it to.

This is my first tutorial. Let me know what you think of it. ^^;

_bdvis loves you.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U bodyvisual
jimdrake
flash guru

385 Posts
Location . Bristol, UK

posted on 1.27.2004 at 17:33 Reply With Quote
some good tips there.

but i never tought it was hard to print in ps

i do a lot of posters and flyers for gigs and stuff, and always get excellent results printing from ps. then take the print and find a photocopier when noone is looking now that's 100 flyers for free(ish)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U jimdrake
jooli

1887 Posts
Location . NYC

posted on 1.27.2004 at 19:08 Reply With Quote
lol photographers and people who do printwork have been doing this for ages
good job anyway

[Currently working on] Surviving teaching video production, and editing shorts
anders
Administrator

2013 Posts
Location . Taipei

posted on 1.28.2004 at 15:53 Reply With Quote
It's been relocated to the photoshop tutorials section.

Thanks for posting this tutorial up

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away."
bodyvisual

490 Posts
Location . in my own fantasy world

posted on 1.29.2004 at 01:37 Reply With Quote
eh, np.. i hope some newbies found it helpful.. i know i was a bit confused as to how to make it look un pixelled.. ^^;

_bdvis loves you.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U bodyvisual

© 2002 - 2005 dzygn.com