dzygners' forums
You have never visited, or are not logged in.
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author Subject: Few comps to crit
Dan

221 Posts
Location . Sheffield, UK

posted on 2.23.2004 at 23:22 Reply With Quote
Few comps to crit

Hey y'all, I ain't posting round here much these days but I do check it out every so often

I'm doing a bit of pro-bono work for my gf's brothers band. They're pretty good and looking to get a recording contract in the near future.

I've got a few designs that I'd like to get a crit on. They're all first drafts, less than an hour on each, so are unpolished, each is meant to be a different style.

http://pupius.co.uk/work/sorels-point/graphics/design1.jpg
http://pupius.co.uk/work/sorels-point/graphics/design2.jpg
http://pupius.co.uk/work/sorels-point/graphics/design3.jpg
http://pupius.co.uk/work/sorels-point/graphics/design4.jpg

Design 1 is going for the dirty kind of look. I did quite a bit of editing on the photo, layering it with different filters and adjusting contrast, saturation etc.

Design 2 has a wild west newspaper/wanted poster kind of feel.

Design 3 is meant to be a bit more subtle, clean and light. Focus is on the photo and the content that will fill the whitespace. Its not as in-your-face.

Design 4 is a real quick thing and is only meant to illustrate a different type of style. Its ugly I know!

They've not said which one they like best yet, so in the mean time let me know your thoughts, ideas and tips.

Cheers

[Edited on 23.2.2004 by Dan]

-- no sig --
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Dan
Abhi

581 Posts
Location . India

posted on 2.24.2004 at 09:46 Reply With Quote
Hey Dan,
I like the 2nd and 3rd ones. specially the second one - would suit good for a rock band.

don't like the 4th one at all.

~!@#$%^&*(). period!
Chris
CSS Guru

813 Posts
Location . England

posted on 2.24.2004 at 10:18 Reply With Quote
what genre of music do the band play, and how do they want to be seen in the public eye? i personally see that as a priority with this sort of design (ozzy osbourne wouldnt want yellow sunflowers on his site..).

i like the first one, but it currently looks a little empty. the 2nd one is really good also, like the style there. 3rd looks very similar to lots of other sites out there (i had one very similar like that, never uploaded it though); so i wouldnt recommend that one to be used imo . i dont like the 4th either

good work though dan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Chris
Dan

221 Posts
Location . Sheffield, UK

posted on 2.24.2004 at 10:41 Reply With Quote
Thanks guys (I know 4 sucks, just did it as a slight alternative )

Yeah Chris, I listened to their music before trying any designs. Currently their style is acoustic, smooth and chilled, remenicent of Ryan Adams, Ben Harper and people like that.

I think it looks like one or two are the best bet. The first one will be a lot less empty when I add the text, I just don't like doing it in PhotoShop as it never looks as good as having the real text in the browser and normally detracts from the design.

Any more ideas?

-- no sig --
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Dan
St.Per

136 Posts
Location . SWE

posted on 2.24.2004 at 14:49 Reply With Quote
I like the first one, it's smooth and I always prefer the wide format. The second one gives me a feeling of wild west or countrymusic, and no one likes dark pages nowadays. 2nd and 3rd ones are to common, and number four he he...

well done work

simu

591 Posts
Location . Switzerland

posted on 2.24.2004 at 15:52 Reply With Quote
well, I like #1 and #3, but since they play accoustic, smooth and chilled music I'd probably go with #3 since it gives me that feeling... but #1 would also work but is a bit too dirty for this kind of music I'd say... but I really like the color sheme in #1 so maybe use those colors in #3 and playaround a bit...

- Simon Käser
- http://endlessx.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U simu
whatisthematrix

2337 Posts
Location . Sweden

posted on 2.24.2004 at 18:44 Reply With Quote
nr1 is best IMO, looks most "in time" also..if u understand..

I'm whatever I want, you can like it or love it // [loading]
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U whatisthematrix
Quick Reply [ Show All Smilies ] Not logged in [Login - Register]

© 2002 - 2005 dzygn.com