dzygners' forums
You have never visited, or are not logged in.
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author Subject: Include Subfolder? or I don't know :)
St.Per

136 Posts
Location . SWE

posted on 3.3.2005 at 17:12 Reply With Quote
Include Subfolder? or I don't know :)

I want my website to work like the mentioned below, but I don't know how to do it.

For example I want my contacs page to be in mysite.com/contacts but since it looks 97% just like all my other pages I don't want to make a new one. Only the text on the page should change entering the subfolder "contacts".

This is how I imagine things to work at:
Firewheel
(just an example)

Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

Chris
CSS Guru

813 Posts
Location . England

posted on 3.3.2005 at 18:32 Reply With Quote
ok, sounds like you want some backend scripting. does your host support and backend languages like php or asp?

you can make a general page, layout etc. and then use a bit of scripting to read the url, and find out whether the request is for contact page, home page, etc. then you can load this content into the general page.

the content can be stored in a variety of ways; basic text files if you want a fast, simple solution. or maybe in xml files. or maybe in a database, either as plain text or something like xhtml2. depends how complex/nice you want to make the solution.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Chris
St.Per

136 Posts
Location . SWE

posted on 3.3.2005 at 20:57 Reply With Quote
Thanks for your answer Chris.
quote:
Originally posted by Chris
does your host support and backend languages like php or asp?

Yes, I recently installed php 5.

quote:
you can make a general page, layout etc. and then use a bit of scripting to read the url, and find out whether the request is for contact page, home page, etc. then you can load this content into the general page.

That must be the tricky part.

quote:
the content can be stored in a variety of ways; basic text files if you want a fast, simple solution. or maybe in xml files. or maybe in a database, either as plain text or something like xhtml2. depends how complex/nice you want to make the solution.

On the site I'm working on now, it doesn't really matter, but I would like to learn it all. I'm familiar to MySQL, but xml is almost untried.

Chris
CSS Guru

813 Posts
Location . England

posted on 3.3.2005 at 21:43 Reply With Quote
no its not really tricky. i managed it! hehe. though i have to say, mine isn't the most beautiful of solutions (would probably put someone like Tim into a coma). but it works, which is all that really matters to me.

as regards storing the content, xml is very simple in general, its just the associated technologies that can get a bit complex from time to time (or rather, it appears to be complex). decide what you want to do.. maybe using a mySQL db is the best idea if you have some experience with it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Chris
Mark
scripter

1599 Posts
Location . Netherlands

posted on 3.4.2005 at 10:02 Reply With Quote
If you're using Python on the back end I can send you the tiny, but smart, system I use for Novemberborn.

| Mark
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Mark
St.Per

136 Posts
Location . SWE

posted on 3.4.2005 at 14:06 Reply With Quote
I'm not using Python Mark, but thanks anyway.
Mark
scripter

1599 Posts
Location . Netherlands

posted on 3.4.2005 at 15:42 Reply With Quote
Hmm, you should...

| Mark
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Mark
Quick Reply [ Show All Smilies ] Not logged in [Login - Register]

© 2002 - 2005 dzygn.com