dzygners' forums
You have never visited, or are not logged in.
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author Subject: Languages U know(not programming)
EROS

120 Posts
Location . Israel

posted on 7.21.2002 at 18:07 Reply With Quote
Languages U know(not programming)

OK! Here the question.. What languages U know.. I mean "speaking" languages, not programming... So?

I. R DHTML!
abhi

581 Posts
Location . India

posted on 7.21.2002 at 18:16 Reply With Quote
English,
Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati (indian languages.)

i wanna learn french. later.

~!@#$%^&*(). period!
hzr

1701 Posts
Location . localhost

posted on 7.21.2002 at 18:44 Reply With Quote
Swedish, english, german.
Also, I understand much norwegian and danish.

hzr
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U hzr
Dan

221 Posts
Location . Sheffield, UK

posted on 7.21.2002 at 18:47 Reply With Quote
English

(Whenever I'm travelling I'm constantly embarassed at my lack of language skills. The Scandinavians, Dutch and many other European countries put us to shame. In the UK, unless you spend a lot of time in a country, or study a language until A-Level or maybe even degree level you are very unlikely to become anywhere near fluent. It's a bad state of affairs.)

-- no sig --
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Dan
whatisthematrix

2337 Posts
Location . Sweden

posted on 7.21.2002 at 19:35 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HZR
Swedish, english, german.
Also, I understand much norwegian and danish.

These are the same for me!

I'm whatever I want, you can like it or love it // [loading]
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U whatisthematrix
Chris
CSS Guru

813 Posts
Location . England

posted on 7.21.2002 at 20:41 Reply With Quote
I speak English, bad English and american English

I speak a little French: if I ever moved there, I'd be able to order a ham sandwich and beer

I agree with Dan: the English education system for modern foreign languages is really poor, and some fellow countrymen get quite arrogant when going abroad, and expect the foreigners to speak English...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Chris
ttrenka

51 Posts
Location . St. Paul, MN, USA

posted on 7.21.2002 at 20:48 Reply With Quote
"I agree with Dan: the English education system for modern foreign languages is really poor, and some fellow countrymen get quite arrogant when going abroad, and expect the foreigners to speak English..."

I'll third that motion. When I was very young (second grade or so) my school district tried an experiment, and began trying to teach those of us who had an "ear" for it French. The result of which is I spent 9 years learning a language by translating a kid's magazine called "Bonjour", and hating every second of it. I am ashamed by the lack of language skills I have...I can hack my way through French and German (especially if it is extremely technical with a focus on sound and music), and that's about it.

I find that some of my skills slowly improve the more I am exposed to it (my wife and I went and saw the movie "Amelie" again, and I feel like I actually understood about half of it, which is a major improvement); but it is either a Anglo-American thing, or an Anglo-American failure with regards to the lack of language skills we have.

I'm trying to learn Korean on the side, but I can't dedicate too much time to it (I'm starting to get it though ...

When I hear how many languages someone like Icestorm can speak, though, I really do feel ashamed.

Chris
CSS Guru

813 Posts
Location . England

posted on 7.21.2002 at 20:53 Reply With Quote
yea, and Neo can also speak (or at least read and write), a surprising number of languages, and he's younger than me..

The best way of learning another language is to actually immerse yourself totally in the language, and the associated culture. The best way of doing this is by actually going to the country for several weeks. You'll be amazed how much faster you learn

BTW Tom, I too had to read and translate that damned magazine!! And I too hated it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Chris
Sergi
backend messer

465 Posts
Location . Barcelona

posted on 7.21.2002 at 21:12 Reply With Quote
speak and write: spanish, catalan (hey, u dare asking what it is?) english, french (I used to be very good at it, but i have to practise... argggg).
understand: italian, portuguese, if spoken slowly enough.

Sergi: [ meddle v2 ] || [ gen7es ] || [ e ]
Chris
CSS Guru

813 Posts
Location . England

posted on 7.21.2002 at 21:15 Reply With Quote
isn't Catalan a version of Spanish from a certain region?? I think it's also spoken in Southern France, or something like that.... ?

Alex

271 Posts

posted on 7.21.2002 at 22:02 Reply With Quote
btw programming languages ain't that bad for everyday use and seems universal
why not using them for describing actions of everyday life that have logical ground?

back to my previous work we used to talk among programmers thru localnetwork using messages like that (to except any misunderstandings)

Function CanDrink()
If manCondition.onFeet = True Then
Return "may continue"
Else
Return "stop"
EndIf
EndFunction

Sub FridayNight()
Dim Beer As Object
Dim AllBeer As String
Dim iter, Bottles As Integer

Bar = CreateObject("WineShop")
Bar.ADD("TodayVisit")
For Each BeerBottle In Bar
Bottles = Bottles + 1
Next
AllBeer = ""
For iter=1 To Bottles
AllBeer=AllBeer + Bar(1).Beer(iter).Name
Next
FROM Bar SELECT ALLBEER TO ToBeDrunk
Do While Bottles>0 and iCash>0
For Each Beer In ToBeDrunk
If CanDrink()="may continue" Then
ToBeDrunk.Drink(1)
Bottles = Bottles - 1
Else
If CallGirlFriend()=True Then
MsgBox("Hi, please take away him out of here. He's completely turned off.")
ElseIf CallParents()=True Then
MsgBox("Taxi is ordered to deliver your son to the green bench next to your house. Please keep eyes opened to take him out as taxi arrives")
Else
//let him on his own to have a lesson - is that too necessary to drink so much?
EndIf
Exit
EndIf
Next
Loop
EndSub

the only problem here is to have the compatible programming interfaces for better communication lol

-------------------------------------------
oops....no leading spaces allowed??...it trims them...sigh

[Edited on 7.21.2002 by Alex]

rem_sr

481 Posts
Location . Sweden

posted on 7.21.2002 at 22:38 Reply With Quote
languages... hmmm... well let's see, except from Swedish (also meaning understaning norvegian and danish ), I speak fluent hungarian, english , not so fluent spanish, italian, german , I understand most latin languages.

My next language that I would like to learn is russian .. I know some people that know russian and it's so kewl...

s a m [ u e l ]
Dissatisfaction is the mother of development

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U rem_sr
Dan

221 Posts
Location . Sheffield, UK

posted on 7.21.2002 at 22:44 Reply With Quote
I can speak enough French and German to get by. And picked up enough Mandarin, Vietnamese and Indonesian not to starve or get stranded anywhere.

and that doesn't really count as knowing a language, so...

But I have to say that the Americans and older Australians were alot worse than the English when it came to languages. Just speak louder. I saw some getting quite pissed off that the locals didn't speak English.

-- no sig --
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Dan
rem_sr

481 Posts
Location . Sweden

posted on 7.21.2002 at 22:55 Reply With Quote
well, knowing a language for me is, if you make yourself understood in that language then you know it, not fluently but still you know that much that you manage to make yourself understood in that particular language..
now I know that you can make yourself understood with body language and with a few words, but what I mean here is talking, perhaps you don't pronoounce it right and it's not grammatical correct, but... yea, I htink you get the picture...

s a m [ u e l ]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U rem_sr
Janny

776 Posts
Location . Belfast - Ireland

posted on 7.22.2002 at 00:02 Reply With Quote

i can speak english and gaelic "Irish".

= Nothing Worth Saying =
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Janny
ttrenka

51 Posts
Location . St. Paul, MN, USA

posted on 7.22.2002 at 04:04 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan
But I have to say that the Americans and older Australians were alot worse than the English when it came to languages. Just speak louder. I saw some getting quite pissed off that the locals didn't speak English.
Hear hear! When my wife and I were in Portugal we were amazed at how loud some people were (especially 3am in Lisboa); and invariably it turned out to be some Americans of the college age screaming the obligatory "woo hoo"...or bein' loud, or rude, or whatever.

It was kind of nice to see most of the people we encountered not recognizing us immediately as Americans. Which I guess, as a statement, says an awful lot as well...

[Edited on 22.7.2002 by ttrenka]

anders
Administrator

2013 Posts
Location . Taipei

posted on 7.22.2002 at 04:17 Reply With Quote
fluent : english, mandarin chinese, taiwanese, portuguese

basic level (but havent used for over 5years) : french and russian

can read/understand 50% : italian and spanish

learning : japanese and russian(again)...

rem_sr, alex is from russia....u can practice russian with him...

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away."
Sergi
backend messer

465 Posts
Location . Barcelona

posted on 7.22.2002 at 08:57 Reply With Quote
Hi.

quote:

isn't Catalan a version of Spanish from a certain region??

Is french a version of italian? No. Catalan is a language by itself. So different to spanish as spanish is to french.

quote:

I think it's also spoken in Southern France, or something like that.... ?

Yep, that part is true. Since they stole us that part of the country, they still speak it in some areas.

I'd like to learn japanese, cause watashiwa nigongoga skee des (hope someone gets it )

Dan

221 Posts
Location . Sheffield, UK

posted on 7.22.2002 at 09:43 Reply With Quote
"watashiwa nigongoga skee des"

My name is ........

maybe ??

-- no sig --
Alex

271 Posts

posted on 7.22.2002 at 10:02 Reply With Quote
quote:

rem_sr, alex is from russia....u can practice russian with him...

sure, without problem...anytime
by the way i have swedish-russian dictionary published in 1906 - very interesting to read

hzr

1701 Posts
Location . localhost

posted on 7.22.2002 at 10:18 Reply With Quote
quote:

by the way i have swedish-russian dictionary published in 1906 - very interesting to read

Hehe, nice, as long as you don't get too serious about learning it. Could be a little waste of time since many words are spelled an other way today.

hzr
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U hzr
Alex

271 Posts

posted on 7.22.2002 at 10:30 Reply With Quote
it's just a rare thing
never thought about using it for learning

i like more to learn programming languages than spoken

Sergi
backend messer

465 Posts
Location . Barcelona

posted on 7.22.2002 at 10:46 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan
"watashiwa nigongoga skee des"
My name is ........
maybe ??

hey, no
it means "I like japanese language"

watashi: 1st person
wa: subject.
watashiwa: I

nigongo: japanese
ga: object

skee: to like
des: present tense

(That's what I remember now, might be wrong though)

rem_sr

481 Posts
Location . Sweden

posted on 7.22.2002 at 15:09 Reply With Quote
alex russian? that's perfect, I can turn to him with my non-understood russian words...

just give me some time to learn the alphabet first... I got interested in russian this summer, so I have no words for you yet Alex, but will have soon... just have to find some good books and dictionaries...

a swedish russian dictionary from 1906... that must be interesting....
david, you are right about words being spel differently now, it's amazing how big the changes are in some words.. if you think that it only is 100 years ago.

s a m [ u e l ]

Alex

271 Posts

posted on 7.22.2002 at 17:30 Reply With Quote
russian alphabet is quite big - 33 letters - it will take some time i guess 80-85% of ppl in russia would not tell you the abc right after you ask them (i have no explanation for that - maybe it's too hard to remember in the order preserved)

rules for writing words have changed in russian too since 1906 - some words we write a little bit different way now - one letter 'yat' is not used anymore - and rules of using of another letter 'hard sign' have changed - maybe anything else..i don't know
as i see spelling of many words have changed too...
languages are so dynamic - 100 yrs and so much of differences appeared

anyway feel free to ask any questions - i am not professor of linguistics but at least i can write official documents without spelling mistakes other ppl do several times a day... lol

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

© 2002 - 2005 dzygn.com