dzygners' forums
You have never visited, or are not logged in.
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author Subject: Online Forums
mjsmith@hotmail.com

6 Posts
Location . Auckland, New Zealand

posted on 4.26.2002 at 09:10 Reply With Quote
Online Forums

I need to set up a on line forum for a client. I wan't to know which is the best product to look at?

I like the look and feel of XMB but I need a little more information on it.

I have also installed and setup UBB.threads by Infopop but it is very bland and the post new topic page sux

Link removed as nolong there

The forum is for youth counceling site. And the client has specified two requirements.

1. A users email address must not displayed to general users (for identity protection)
  2. They want a thread based display for topics.

UBB.Threads has this type of layout however I don't like the rest of it.

Your ideas will be appricated.

[Edited on 5.22.2002 by mjsmith@hotmail.com]

Regards

Markone

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U mjsmith%40hotmail.com
anders
Administrator

2013 Posts
Location . Taipei

posted on 4.26.2002 at 10:30 Reply With Quote
well, the initial reason i used XMB was because my host provider offered it as part of my plan...

and since i can't use ASP, so snitz was out of the question..
after playing with this forum, i'm in love with XMB now... it is really easy to set it up (although there were many bugs with this version)

not sure what you mean by thread based display for topics, but i highly recommend xmb if you are looking for a phpbased forum...
especially wiht the new version they are coming out (magic lantern 1.6) in a few days...supposed to be 100times better than any previous releases... you should wait and see when it comes out...

not sure if i'll be updating to that version since i just finished debugging and customizing this one to wanna start all over again...

another php forum u might wanna try is http://www.phpbb.com/
nice graphics and ease of setup/use...
i'm using that one for another forum i'm working on...

of the 2, i like xmb better...but both are nice ; )

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away."
mjsmith@hotmail.com

6 Posts

posted on 4.26.2002 at 11:08 Reply With Quote
Online Forums

Thanks for the info. What about question one. Do you have an answer in relationship to privacy and hideing the identity of the user.

Regards

Markone

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U mjsmith%40hotmail.com
anders
Administrator

2013 Posts
Location . Taipei

posted on 4.27.2002 at 00:37 Reply With Quote
for email privacy, i think you could just remove the code to display user's email in all the pages that the email is supposed to show up.. (example, like this viewthread page, i'd just remove the images that links me to the users email...also, remove the email row from the profile's page)

does that help?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away."
mjsmith@hotmail.com

6 Posts

posted on 4.28.2002 at 04:42 Reply With Quote
XMB

Thanks that helps.

Next question.

What file do I edit to set all the color variables for XMB.

I thought the style sheet would have this info but it doesn't

Regards

Markone

anders
Administrator

2013 Posts
Location . Taipei

posted on 4.28.2002 at 05:23 Reply With Quote
you have xmb already setup and running?

to set colors to your forums, click on control panel (top right link), then themes...
on the themes page, you edit or create a new theme and choose all the colors and font size configurations in there...

all the color assigning should be done in this page...

this will allow users to choose different themes when visiting your forums...for example, i have an "iceberg" theme and one of the xmb forums preset themes named "xmb_gray".... got rid of all the rest...

Webster

16 Posts
Location . WI, USA

posted on 5.5.2002 at 14:46 Reply With Quote
I think when he talks about the topic images, he means the buttons for posting a new topic/reply.

-Nick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Webster

© 2002 - 2005 dzygn.com