dzygners' forums
You have never visited, or are not logged in.
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author Subject: Scanner [Negative Scanning]
newhold

48 Posts
Location . Bangor, Northern Ireland

posted on 12.30.2002 at 17:51 Reply With Quote
Scanner [Negative Scanning]

I've got a problem....

...in the past when I've been getting my films developed I send them off to fotango.com - they have since changed their procedures and increased costs, so I won't be using them again.. Instead I'll be using my local kodak shop to get my lomos developed.

Naturally I like to have digital copies of my lomos for doing any larger prints, websites publishing etc. Previously fotango.com supplied handy web-worthy jpgs which did the job, any higher resolution required would need to be scanned.

I've got an ancient scanner which is in no way up to the job. So the bottom line is:

• I'm looking for some guide as to what to purchase, most decent scanners come with negative [slide] scanning tools also ?
  • What sort of money would I need to spend ?
  • Is there another solution I'm missing ?

Thanks in advance for any response...
Pete.

Pete Wynne

newhold

48 Posts

posted on 1.1.2003 at 15:27 Reply With Quote
From the research I've done it would seem I would need to spend around 200/250 for a scanner that would be able to scan negetives or slides at a reasonably high resolution....

I have a cunning plan for my flat [whenever I move out in the next six months [am back living with my 'rents for a wee while until i get my degree behind me]] -=- am thinking of installing a little automatic slide projector - reduce the brightness and have it projecting on a big white wall... the wall would be striped with mat and gloss paint to give it a certain edge..... ooh i can't wait to get a flat... aaanyhew - I was talking about scanners... yes. I might buy one soon [Billy Connelly tangent moment..]

Pete Wynne

pixiegal

378 Posts
Location . SnOwY SwE

posted on 2.5.2003 at 09:56 Reply With Quote
yeh I'm going to buy a scanner too.
maybe HP scanjet will be my choice.

[ All lifes buffets should be met with dignity and good sense ]
Chris
CSS Guru

813 Posts
Location . England

posted on 2.5.2003 at 10:25 Reply With Quote
it depends how much scanning of negatives you're going to do. flatbed scanners are good, but they simply can't compete with dedicated film scanners for negatives.

film scanners are more expensive than flatbed scanners on the whole, but they offer much better resolutions, and with better technology for negatives only. i (well.. my dad) has the Nikon Coolscan4 ED.. a really good scanner, as it has ICE techbology which is amazing.

Its really just a case of how much scanning of negatives you're gonna do

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Chris
Sergi
backend messer

465 Posts
Location . Barcelona

posted on 2.5.2003 at 12:35 Reply With Quote
all adapters i've tested for slides in flat scanners suck. dont even waste 2 euros for one f those unless you want to simply scan light landscape slides. Whenever you have a delicate slide with some dark area or you want to play with contrasts you'll be dead.

It's much more expensive but what i do in those cases where i want to scan a slide is make it on paper (by a lab) and then scan the print.

As Chris suggested, it'll depend on how many you will want to scan. If they're a lot, maybe you should buy a dedicated slide scanner. I think they're getting cheaper

Sergi: [ meddle v2 ] || [ gen7es ] || [ e ]
Dan

221 Posts
Location . Sheffield, UK

posted on 2.5.2003 at 13:49 Reply With Quote
My HP scanner has a negatives attachment which works really well. But I'd not use anything but a dedicated scanner for slides.

-- no sig --
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Dan
newhold

48 Posts

posted on 2.5.2003 at 19:15 Reply With Quote
What model of HP scanner do u have Dan ? It scans negatives well you say ?
Quick Reply [ Show All Smilies ] Not logged in [Login - Register]

© 2002 - 2005 dzygn.com